August is National Peach Month and peak season for delicious, local Palisade peaches. A large peach only has about 70 calories and contains 3 grams of fiber. Peaches are also a good source of vitamin A and C and are the second highest protein fruit with about 2 grams of protein per peach.
To pick the best peach, the flesh should have a slight give (use your whole hand, not just your fingertips to avoid bruising) and should have an even coloring. Don’t forget to smell it! A ripe peach should be fragrant.
Five Healthy and Tasty Ways to Eat Peaches:
1. Add Peaches to Your Salad
- Slice up a peach and add it fresh to a salad.
Blueberry and Peach Chicken Salad
- Try grilling it for extra sweetness.
Grilled Peach Salad with Mint Pesto
2. Blend it into a Smoothie
- Go the traditional fruit smoothie route and add bananas and strawberries for a delicious treat.
Perfect Peach Smoothie
- Go green and add some vegetables to your smoothie for breakfast.
Green Ginger-Peach Smoothie
3. Make a Salsa
- Fresh peach salsa tastes great as a topping for grilled chicken.
Chicken with Grilled Peach and Chipotle Salsa
- Add it to a healthy fish taco for a quick weeknight dinner.
Grilled Fish Tacos with Fresh Peach Salsa
4. Cool Off with a Soup
- Try a peach gazpacho as a perfect starter.
- Heat up with a cool, spicy peach soup with fish ceviche.
Golden Peach Soup with Shrimp and Crab Ceviche
5. Cure your Sweet Tooth with a Healthy Dessert
- Make a beautiful and simple fruit salad for dessert.
Blueberry and Peach Fruit Salad with Thyme
- Grill it and top with yogurt for a special treat.
Grilled Peaches with Honey and Yogurt
Written by: Jillian Tongate, Marketing Manager