Only 8% of Americans stick with their New Year’s resolutions. Follow these five tips and set yourself up for success and achieve your goals this year. Cheers to a healthier 2019!
5 Tips for Achieving Your New Year’s Resolution
- Start Small – Set small, realistic goals and timelines. Create a goal of hitting the gym 3 days a week instead of every day or losing 10 pounds in 2 months instead of 60 pounds in 1 year.
- Focus on One Thing – Unhealthy behaviors don’t develop overnight and neither do healthy ones. Don’t overwhelm yourself with a long list of goals. Focus on one thing at a time. Once you feel confident in sustainable change with one habit, tackle another.
- Create an Environment for Success – Set yourself up for success by creating an environment that mirrors the healthy habits you’re trying to create. Late night snacking? Throw out the junk food and stock up on healthy items. Skip morning workouts? Get your gym clothes ready the night before and put your alarm clock on the other end of the room.
- Go Easy on Yourself – Did you skip a couple workouts or over-indulge on unhealthy foods over the weekend? Don’t beat yourself up or let it derail you. Missteps will happen. Get back on track and keep moving forward.
- Track + Reward – As you work toward your goal, track the progress and celebrate your successes. Did you hit 10,000 steps every day this month? Did you achieve your monthly weight loss goal? Celebrate those successes in a way that won’t undo your hard work like a massage or new workout clothes.